The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) has responsibility for advising the Australian Government on Information Policy.
The OAIC supports the development of effective information policy by:
- providing advice about best practice information policy to government
- developing resources to assist government agencies implement best practice information policy
- influencing policy through submissions
- consulting with government about the challenges they face in information policy
- consulting with the private sector, researchers, advocates and the community about how the value and use of public sector information can be maximised
- conducting research into information policy international best practice.