On this page:
Privacy case notes
The summaries of the privacy complaints and own motion investigations below have been chosen because they involve interpretation of the Privacy Act 1988 or associated legislation in new circumstances, illustrate systemic issues or illustrate the application of the law to a particular industry or subject area.
The case notes are intended to offer a synopsis only and not to be a comprehensive account. It is a function of the Commissioners to endeavour to resolve complaints by conciliation where appropriate. As a result, the outcome in any particular case will be affected by a number of factors, including the applicable law, the facts of the matter and the approach to the conciliation process taken by both the complainant and respondent.
- Case notes are also available on the AustLII website. The AustLII website provides a comprehensive database search service of these case notes.
- Case notes of privacy matters finalised by the OAIC are available at www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/AICmrCN/.
- Case notes of privacy matters finalised by the former Office of the Privacy Commissioner are available at: www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/PrivCmrA/.
- Own motion investigation reports in relation to privacy matters are found on our Reports page.
- Determinations of privacy complaints under s 52 of the Privacy Act 1988 are found on our decisions page or on AustLII at www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/AICmr/
- S and Telecommunication Company  AICmrCN 13
- R and Credit Reporting Agency  AICmrCN 12
- Q and Financial Institution  AICmrCN 11
- P and Retail Company  AICmrCN 10
- O and Professional Association  AICmrCN 9
- N and Law Firm  AICmrCN 8
- M and Law Firm  AICmrCN 7
- L and Insurer  AICmrCN 6
- K and Finance Company  AICmrCN 5
- J and Commonwealth Agency  AICmrCN 4
- I and Insurance Company  AICmrCN 3
- H and Registered Club  AICmrCN 2
- G and Parking Services Organisation  AICmrCN 1
The case notes below are matters finalised by the former Office of the Privacy Commissioner but published in May 2011 by the OAIC.