Welcome to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s (OAIC) eLearning course on conducting a privacy impact assessment (PIA). This course aims to give you information in an easy-to-understand format so that you can have the confidence to do a PIA in your organisation.
Who should complete this course?
This course is designed for people who are new to the PIA process and would like to:
- Understand the OAIC’s expectations when completing a PIA
- Understand the steps to completing a PIA
- Be able to confidently identify privacy risks
- Be able to propose mitigation strategies to address privacy risks
- Commence the PIA process for their own project
The course content is based on the OAIC’s Guide to undertaking privacy impact assessments. You should refer to this guide if you need more information about any of the topics covered, or need further assistance in completing your PIA.
The course is designed for organisations and Australian Government agencies covered by the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act), however it will be relevant for any organisation that wants to take a best practice approach to privacy.