Skip to main content
Skip to secondary navigation
Australian Government - Office of the Australian Information Commissioner - Home

I am concerned that an Australian or ACT government agency is using my personal information incorrectly. What can I do?

If you believe an agency is mishandling your personal information, first of all contact the agency to express your concerns. The staff member you speak to at the agency should be able to tell you why your information was collected, how it is being used or disclosed and whether there are any relevant laws that allow the agency to use or disclose it in the manner it has.

If the staff member you speak to is unable to provide you with the advice you need, or you wish to make a complaint, you can ask to be referred to the appropriate privacy or complaints officer.

Most agencies have a procedure for dealing with privacy complaints. However, if you are not satisfied with the way the agency handles your complaint, you can lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).

For further information on lodging a complaint with the OAIC, please see the Privacy complaints page. If you still have questions, or you would like to discuss the matter before you lodge a complaint, you can contact our Enquiries line.