Skip to main content
Skip to secondary navigation
Australian Government - Office of the Australian Information Commissioner - Home

Photos of individuals

Someone has taken photos of me without my permission. What can I do?

The Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) is unlikely to apply in this circumstance, as it does not cover individuals acting in a personal capacity.

In some instances, there may be state or territory laws which prevent a person photographing the private activities of an individual without that individual’s consent. You can contact the Attorney General’s Department in your state or territory for more information.

If you are concerned, you could also consider contacting the police.

Back to Contents

My photo has been posted online without my permission. How can I get it removed?

The first step you should take is to ask the person who posted the photo to take it down. If the person refuses, or you don't know who it is, you may wish to contact the administrator of the site and ask them to remove the image. Most social networking sites allow a person to lodge a complaint on privacy grounds.

If the photo was posted online by an agency or organisation covered by the Privacy Act, or the site is hosted by an agency or organisation covered by the Privacy Act, you may be able to complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).

Back to Contents

There's an image on Google Street View that I feel breaches my privacy. What can I do about this?

You should contact Google StreetView . While Street View images are only taken from publically accessible places, all Street View images are meant to blur identifiable faces and number plates.

To report an image you are concerned about, view the image on StreetView and click on the ‘Report a problem' function available on the bottom right hand corner of the image.

Back to Contents

A photo of me has appeared in the media without my permission. Who can I complain to?

The Privacy Act does not apply to the acts and practices that media organisations carry out in the course of journalism. This will apply to media organisations that collect, prepare and disseminates news, current affairs, information or documentaries and that have publically committed to observing published, written standards that deal with privacy in the context of the activities of a media organisation.

If you have a complaint about how an Australian newspaper, magazine and their associated digital outlets have used a photo of you, contact the Australian Press Council.

If you have a complaint about how a radio or TV broadcaster has used a photo of you, contact the Australian Communications and Media Authority.   

Back to Contents