Skip to main content
Skip to secondary navigation
Australian Government - Office of the Australian Information Commissioner - Home

Make a My Health Record complaint

If you think that information in your My Health Record has been mishandled, contact the healthcare provider or other party you think is at fault to make a complaint. They should generally respond to your complaint in 30 days.

If they don’t respond to your complaint, or you’re not satisfied with their response, you may phone the My Health Record help line on 1800 723 471 and make a complaint.

If the healthcare provider is run by a state or territory government, such as a public hospital, you can complain to the relevant state or territory regulator. If it is not run by a state or territory government, you can lodge a complaint with us.

How we handle a My Health Record complaint

Your complaint must be in writing. We can’t take it over the phone. You can:

After receiving a complaint, we work out if we're the right organisation or agency to conduct an investigation. There may be situations where we will transfer your complaint to a state or territory privacy or health regulator.

We may not investigate a complaint immediately if a healthcare provider has advised us that they are taking action.

There may be situations where we decide not to investigate or where we will discontinue an investigation.

We'll attempt to resolve your complaint through conciliation. If appropriate, we may:


[enforceable undertaking definition] An enforceable undertaking is a written agreement between an entity or person and the Information Commissioner, given under the Privacy Act 1988 or the My Health Records Act 2012, and is enforceable in court.

[determination definition] A determination is a legal decision made by the Information Commissioner, after considering the facts in a dispute.

[injunction definition] An injunction is a court order directing a person to either do or not do a specific thing.

[civil penalty definition] A civil penalty is a fine.