Reviews and complaints

Last updated: 21 July 2019 RSS feed

If you’re not happy with an agency or minister’s decision in response to your freedom of information (FOI) request, you can ask for a review of the decision. You can ask for an internal review or Information Commissioner review.

You may not be happy, for example, with an agency or minister’s decision:

  • not to give you access to the document you requested or in the form you requested
  • to charge you for access to the document you requested or the amount of the charge
  • to refuse to amend or annotate a document you think is incomplete, incorrect, out of date or misleading
  • to give others access to a document you think should not be released because it contains your personal or business information 
  • to give access to a document about your physical or mental health through a qualified individual rather than directly to you

If you’re not happy with the way an agency or minister’s office has handled your FOI request, you can lodge a complaint with us.

Was this page helpful?

Thank you.

If you would like to provide more feedback, please email us at