Below are research papers we commissioned in the lead up to the Australian Government’s review of the Privacy Act 1988.
The papers were prepared externally and cover a range of regulatory issues such as the definition of personal information, concepts of notice and consent, and global regulation of digital platforms.
The research was commissioned to inform consideration of key privacy issues and specific questions. We used some of the papers in our submission to the review.
All papers were independently prepared and represent the views and assessments of the external providers.
We hope the papers assist other stakeholders when considering contemporary privacy issues including those raised through the review.
Download the research papers
- The Definition of Personal Information: A paper for the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by Salinger Privacy (A Johnston), February 2020
- Notice, Consent and Accountability: addressing the balance between privacy self-management and organisational accountability: A paper for the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by Data Synergies (Peter G Leonard), June 2020
- Privacy Harms: A paper for the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by Data Synergies (Peter G Leonard), June 2020
- Cookies and Other Online Identifiers: Research Paper for the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by Salinger Privacy (A Johnston) and Castellate Consulting (Dr Chris Culnane), June 2020
- Global scan of privacy regulation of digital platforms by Information Integrity Solutions, June 2020
- Privacy Certification Research by Privcore Pty Ltd, June 2020
- Direct Right of Action for Privacy: Research Memo by elevenM, July 2020
- Privacy risks and harms for children and other vulnerable groups in the online environment: Research paper commissioned by the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by Monash University and elevenM Consulting, December 2020.
If you are unable to access a document, contact us for an alternative format at email@example.com