15 Dec 2016
If you own or are creating a start-up business, it’s essential that you build privacy into your products and services from the beginning. To find out why, watch Privacy is important for start-up businesses.
Building in privacy should be easy to do.
To get you on the road to good privacy practice, use these 10 tips:
- Design your products or services to manage, minimise or eliminate privacy risks. Conducting a Privacy Impact Assessment will help you here.
- Minimise your risk profile - don’t collect and keep personal information if de-identified data will do.
- If you need to collect personal information, where possible, collect it from people directly.
- When you collect personal information, tell people how and why you collect it, and who you will share it with.
- Get consent if you want to use or share someone’s information in a new way.
- Check the privacy practices of third parties or contractors that you share personal information with.
- Protect the information you hold from physical and digital security threats. Human error is a major cause of security breaches, so train your staff and contractors.
- Be prepared for a data breach. Create a data breach response plan.
For more information on how to implement these tips visit us at oaic.gov.au/startups.