A health service provider must take reasonable steps to make sure the health information they hold about you is accurate, complete, up to date, relevant and not misleading.

How to request a correction

You may first need to access your health information from the health service provider.

Then, if you think the health information the health service provider holds about you is incorrect, contact them and request they correct it. They may ask you to follow a certain process, such as putting your request in writing.

If the health service provider has given incorrect information to others, you may ask them to tell those other parties about the corrections.

When should you get a response to your request?

We recommend that a health service provider should respond to your request for correction within 30 days.

What if a health service provider refuses your request?

There may be situations where a health service provider has reviewed your health information and is satisfied it's correct. The health service provider’s opinion may differ from yours, but this doesn't mean it's inaccurate.

If your health service provider refuses to change your health information, they must let you know in writing:

  • the reasons for refusing to correct the information, unless that is unreasonable
  • how you can complain about the refusal.

You can also ask them to include a statement that you believe the information is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading. Your health service provider must take reasonable steps to attach the statement to your health information so that other health service providers will know you disagree with the information. This might include:

  • printing a statement to attach to a physical record, or
  • linking the statement to a digital record.

We recommend that your health service provider should process your request to link a statement to your health information within 30 days.

Is there a charge?

No. A health service provider can’t charge you a fee:

  • when you request they correct your health information
  • to correct your health information
  • to attach a statement to your health information.

If you’re not happy with a health service provider’s response, you can lodge a complaint with us.