Upcoming and recent events
This page features a list of upcoming and recent events.
1 December 2021 – National HREC Conference – Commissioner Falk will give the opening address.
1–3 December 2021 – 56th Asia Pacific Privacy Authorities Forum – The OAIC will participate in the 56th Asia Pacific Privacy Authorities (APPA) Forum, hosted by the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia. APPA members will discuss privacy best practice and share information on emerging technologies, trends and changes to privacy regulation.
- 7 December 2021 – Joint Cyber Security Centre data breaches presentation – Assistant Commissioner, Dispute Resolution, David Stevens will present to Australian Cyber Security Centre partners on managing data breaches and their organisations’ obligations under the Notifiable Data Breaches (NDB) scheme.
- 15 November 2021 – Accessing government information in Samoa webinar – The OAIC’s FOI Regulatory Group presented on Australia’s federal freedom of information and information access framework at this webinar on accessing government information in Samoa, hosted by the UN Pacific Regional Anti-Corruption Project.
- 11 November 2021 – The KWM Digital Future Summit – Commissioner Falk and Australian Competition and Consumer Commission Chair Rod Sims discussed their regulatory approaches and priorities for the digital environment.
- 10 November 2021 – IAPP ANZ Summit Online 2021–Commissioner Falk discussed the privacy landscape in 2021 and the outlook ahead with IAPP Country Leader, Australia and National Australia Bank Chief Privacy and Data Ethics Officer Stephen Bolinger. Watch the recording on LinkedIn.
- 9 November 2021 – Future of Financial Services, Sydney – The OAIC’s Consumer Data Right (CDR) policy team presented on the system’s privacy-enhancing features, the interaction between the Privacy Act and the CDR, and the resources available to help participants understand and comply with their privacy obligations.
- 28 October 2021 – GRC2021 Conference – Commissioner Angelene Falk updated GRC Institute members on the OAIC’s privacy regulatory priorities, recent regulatory action and privacy law reform.
- 18–21 October 2021 – 43rd Global Privacy Assembly – The OAIC participated in the 43rd GPA conference, hosted by Mexico’s National Institute for Transparency, Access to Information and Personal Data Protection
- 27 September 2021 – Senate Standing Committees on Finance and Public Administration – Commissioner Falk, Acting FOI Commissioner Hampton and Principal Director, FOI Regulatory Group Rocelle Ago appeared before the public hearing into the COAG Legislation Amendment Bill 2021. See the OAIC’s submission.
- 27 September 2021 – International Access to Information Day – ICON session –To mark International Access to Information Day, the OAIC hosted an information session for members of our Information Contact Officers Network (ICON). The session featured a keynote address from Commissioner Falk, a presentation from New Zealand Parliamentary Deputy Ombudsman Bridget Hewson and a discussion on proactive publication and information access through times of heightened activity and significant public scrutiny with Acting FOI Commissioner Elizabeth Hampton and Scott Tredwell, General Counsel the Federal Court of Australia.
- 8 September – Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation virtual forum: Improving cross-border effectiveness of personal data breach notification systems – Assistant Commissioner Stevens presented on the NDB scheme.
- 9 September – Australian Banking Association Notifiable Data Breaches briefing–Assistant Commissioner Stevens presented to Australian Banking Association members on the NDB scheme, including trends in the finance sector.
- 25 August 2021 – Public Sector Network Cyber security executive meeting series– Deputy Commissioner Elizabeth Hampton spoke about developing culture and awareness to improve cyber security and resilience at the Canberra leg of the event series.
- 26 August 2021 – Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation virtual forum: Digital tools for addressing infectious diseases in the Asia-Pacific region: Challenges and opportunities– Commissioner Falk presented the work of the OAIC and Global Privacy Assembly to ensure privacy practices remain central to COVID-19 responses.
- 28 July 2021 – Fundraising Institute Australia webinar: Is your data safe? – Assistant Commissioner Melanie Drayton joined a panel discussion on data privacy and security in the fundraising sector as part of the institute's inaugural Data Week.
- 27 July 2021 – Risk Management Association webinar: Privacy: One of the most important issues of our time – The OAIC presented the findings of our Australian Community Attitudes to Privacy Survey 2020.
- 23 to 24 June 2021 – International Conference of Information Commissioners– Commissioner Falk and Deputy Commissioner Hampton, accompanied by Principal Director, FOI Regulatory Group Rocelle Ago, presented a resolution on proactive publication and the Australian regional update at the closed session. Hosted by the Brazilian Office of the Comptroller General, the session was an opportunity to share knowledge and best practices from across the world to advance information access rights.
- 23 June 2021 – Australian Human Rights Commission webinar: Government use of artificial intelligence– Commissioner Falk participated in a panel discussion on government use of artificial intelligence led by Human Rights Commissioner Edward Santow. She was joined by Disability Discrimination Commissioner Dr Ben Gauntlett and NSW’s Chief Data Scientist Dr Ian Oppermann. The panel was part of a series of events to launch the Human Rights and Technology Final Report.
- 21 June 2021 – OECD-Global Privacy Assembly workshop: One year later – Addressing the data governance and privacy implications of the COVID-19 pandemic and the road to recovery – Deputy Commissioner Hampton joined a panel discussion on workplace privacy as part of this online workshop. The workshop brought together over 140 OECD and Global Privacy Assembly participants, and stakeholder groups from business, civil society and trade unions to discuss the data governance and privacy implications of the pandemic.
- 16 to 18 June 2021 – 55th Asia Pacific Privacy Authorities Forum – The OAIC participated in the 55th forum hosted by the Personal Information Protection Commission of the Republic of Korea. The forum considered jurisdiction and enforcement updates, the ‘new normal’ post-COVID-19, use of emerging technologies, children’s and adolescents’ privacy, and formulating global standards in data protection. Read the forum’s communiqué.
- 11 June 2021 – Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security – Deputy Commissioner Hampton appeared before the public hearing into the review of the Security Legislation Amendment (Critical Infrastructure) Bill 2020and statutory review of the Security of Critical Infrastructure Act 2018. See the OAIC’s submission.
- 13 May 2021 – IAPP Global Privacy Summit 2021 – Assistant Commissioner Drayton joined a panel discussion on blurred regulatory lines. She spoke alongside Commissioner Noah Joshua Phillips from the US Federal Trade Commission and Deputy Commissioner Brent Homan from the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
- 13 May 2021 – Joint Cyber Security Centre presentation: Notifiable Data Breaches scheme – Almost 200 Australian Cyber Security Centre partners attended the session to hear from the OAIC about trends and insights from 3 years of the Notifiable Data Breaches (NDB) scheme, challenges in responding to data breaches and data breach risk management.
- 7 May 2021 – Australian Government Solicitor FOI and Privacy Forum – Commissioner Falk opened the forum and participated in a panel discussion with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and Attorney-General’s Department on the future of privacy. Read the Commissioner’s speech.
- 6 May 2021 – Deloitte Australian Privacy Index 2021 launch webinar – Commissioner Falk spoke at the launch of the Deloitte Australian Privacy Index 2021.
- 5 May 2021 – Salinger Privacy webinar: Masterclass in data, privacy and ethics – The OAIC presented on our Australian Community Attitudes to Privacy Survey. Watch the recording.
- 3 May 2021 – OAIC webinar: Making privacy a priority in the decade of data – Commissioner Falk spoke to Elizabeth Denham CBE, UK Information Commissioner and Global Privacy Assembly chair, for the launch of Privacy Awareness Week 2021. Watch the recording.
- 22 April 2021 – Information Contact Officers Network virtual information session – Commissioner Falk gave an update on OAIC investigations and findings and addressed common issues raised in freedom of information complaints. More than 100 staff from government agencies joined the Information Contact Officers Network (ICON) event, where they also heard from Deputy Commissioner Hampton on lessons learnt from recent Information Commissioner review decisions.
- 22 April 2021 – Tax Practitioners Board webinar: Preventing data breaches – More than 3,000 tax practitioners tuned into a Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) webinar to hear from the TPB and OAIC about preventing data breaches. The webinar covered common sources of data breaches, tax practitioners’ obligations to keep client information safe, and how they can mitigate risk. Watch the webinar.
- 30 March 2021 – Association of Corporate Counsel GC100 12th bi-annual meeting– In a live interview with Olga Ganopolsky, General Counsel - Privacy and Data, Macquarie Group, Commissioner Falk discussed emerging privacy issues and challenges, the Privacy Act review and the OAIC's privacy regulatory priorities.
- 17 March 2021 – United Nations Pacific Regional Anti-Corruption session: Right to information – The OAIC took part in a virtual information session on best practices for building resilient, transparent and accountable institutions in the Solomon Islands. The United Nations Pacific Regional Anti-Corruption project partnered with experts from Australia, New Zealand and Vanuatu to facilitate the discussion with Solomon Islands Integrity Institutions and the Office of the Prime Minister.
- 26 February 2021 – International Consumer Protection and Enforcement Network and Global Privacy Enforcement Network workshop: Best practice enforcement of consumer data privacy – Assistant Commissioner Drayton facilitated a discussion on enforcement of consumer data privacy.
- 12 February 2021 – Select Committee on Financial Technology and Regulatory Technology– Commissioner Falk and Deputy Commissioner Hampton appeared before the committee. See the OAIC’s submission.
- 28 January 2021 – Council of Europe webinar: Data Privacy Day – Asia Pacific region event – To mark Data Privacy Day, Commissioner Falk joined the Council of Europe and regulators and academics from across the Asia Pacific to discuss domestic and international privacy developments. Watch the recording.
- 8 to 10 December 2020 - 54th Asia Pacific Privacy Authorities Forum – The OAIC joined regulators from across the region for the forum hosted by the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner. Read the forum’s communiqué.
- 24 November 2020 – International Association of Privacy Professionals panel: Blurring regulatory lines – Privacy, competition and consumer protection – Assistant Commissioner Drayton spoke about the convergence between privacy, competition and consumer regulation. IAPP members can watch the recording.
- 19 November 2020 – Australian Finance Industry Association webinar: Notifiable Data Breaches scheme – The OAIC delivered a presentation on the NDB scheme to Australian Finance Industry Association members. You can register to watch the recording.
- 12 November 2020 – Law Council of Australia: Privacy law seminar – Commissioner Falk joined the Law Council of Australia’s Business Law Section for a seminar on key privacy developments in 2020. Watch the seminar.
- 5 November 2020 – GRC Conference 2020 – The OAIC presented on the NDB scheme.
- 4 November 2020 – ICON virtual information session – The OAIC hosted an ICON session to conclude our International Access to Information Day campaign. Commissioner Falk, Deputy Commissioner Hampton and our FOI Regulatory Group spoke to ICON members about the latest freedom of information statistics, recent updates and resources, and upcoming projects. Read the Commissioner’s speech.
- 22 October 2020 – Australian Finance Industry Association webinar: Consumer Data Right – Privacy focus – The OAIC delivered a masterclass for members of the Australian Finance Industry Association on the privacy aspects of the Consumer Data Right. You can register to watch the recording.
- 22 October 2020 - Victorian Privacy Network meeting – Assistant Commissioner Drayton spoke at the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner’s (OVIC) first virtual Victorian Privacy Network meeting. Privacy professionals tuned in to hear from the OAIC on contact tracing and the broader privacy landscape including the key findings of our Australian Community Attitudes to Privacy Survey. Meeting materials and presentation slides are available on OVIC’s website.
- 13 to 15 October 2020 – 42nd Global Privacy Assembly– Commissioner Falk, as member of the Executive Committee and chair of the Strategic Direction Sub-Committee, led discussions on the work being done across the Global Privacy Assembly to advance its strategic plan and priorities. The OAIC also authored and sponsored a number of adopted resolutions.
- 28 September 2020 – Open Government Partnership webinar: Open by design – Commissioner Falk attended the webinar to discuss the draft ‘Open by Design (right to know)’ commitment. Watch the recording.
- 22 July 2020 – Advancing the right to information in Papua New Guinea – The OAIC presented on freedom of information.
- 6 July 2020 – Deloitte Australian Privacy Index 2020 launch webinar – Deputy Commissioner Hampton was the keynote speaker.