To get a police check

A police or criminal history check is a document that lists all court outcomes and pending charges for an individual. The information is collected from the databases of all Australian police jurisdictions. You may need a police check when you start a new job, adopt a child or work overseas.

If you live in this state or territory Ask your local police for
Australian Capital Territory National police check
New South Wales Criminal history check
Northern Territory Criminal history check
Queensland Criminal history check
South Australia Police record check
Tasmania Police history record check
Victoria National police record check
Western Australia National police certificate

To get a copy of a police report

If you want information about a motor vehicle accident or a crime (such as a property theft) that you were involved in, contact your local police:

To access state or territory government information

To access information that a state or territory government agency holds, contact the agency you think holds the information. We don’t hold the records of other agencies.

For more information, contact the agency that regulates freedom of information law in the relevant state or territory.

If the agency is inContact
Australian Capital Territory ACT Ombudsman
New South Wales Information and Privacy Commission
Northern Territory Office of the Information Commissioner
Queensland Office of the Information Commissioner
South Australia State Records
Tasmania Ombudsman Tasmania
Victoria Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner
Western Australia Office of the Information Commissioner

To access your child’s school records

School reports

You can ask your child’s school for your child’s school report, even if you’re a non-custodial parent. The school will give you a copy unless a court protection order prevents them.

Non-educational personal information

You can ask your child’s private school for access to your child’s non-educational personal information. But before giving you access, under Australian privacy law the school must think about:

  • your child’s age
  • the nature of the information
  • your child’s expectations about what the information may disclose.

The school should also give you and your child their policy on non-educational disclosures.

Sensitive information

You can ask for sensitive information about your child that your child’s school holds. But before giving you access, under Australian privacy law the school must think about:

  • the age and best interests of the child
  • the need for the child’s parents or guardians to be told
  • their duty of care to the child.

To access your health information

Australian privacy law gives you a general right to access the health information a health service provider holds about you.

To access your My Health Record, sign in to myGov.